You know how they say you loose brain cells with every pregnancy? Ok, well after 4 kids my brain cell count is fairly low...AND IT SHOWS! I need some serious help coordinating everybodys schedules. I am forgetting things left and right. The worst part...I forget about things just a few hours before they need to happen. For example....
one morning, only a few weeks ago, at the bus stop...
Summer: Hey Lyndi we doing dance today?
Lyndi: I think we probably should
Summer: OK
a few hours later...knock, knock
Summer: (answers door) Hey Lyndi what's up?
Lyndi: um....dance?
Summer: Oh My Goodness...I totally forgot (yup totally forgot) give me 30 seconds and I will get Haylee's shoes and she can go like she is!
Fast forward to last week.....
I got a phone call Friday night from Ethan's Baseball Coach's Wife (who happens to also be my friend Tiff) and she informs me that the next morning Ethan has a practice at 9:30 am. I thought, "Great that will be perfect! Andy can drop him off on his way to work and then I will pick him up an hour later"
Next Morning.....get up a little earlier then usual because Averys not tired. We work on Saturday morning chores. I get a phone call from Ethan's friends mom and she asks me what we had going this morning? I told her not a whole lot just laundry and cleaning bathrooms, you know the usual Saturday morning stuff. And she says,"oh, I just assumed you had something big going this morning since Ethan didn't show to practice!" That's right, 1st practice for the season and I made him miss it:( He was sad. OOPS
and now today.... it's the last day of school, my little sister had her graduation, and Haylee had her BIG dance practice for her concert next week and...can you guess it?....I forgot about dance! I remembered as I was putting the last load of laundry into the dryer (at 10:30 pm). I am seriously in need of some help. It is not that my kids are over scheduled...I think I am just over scheduled! 3 Kids, 1 Husband, 3000 sq. ft. home, dance lessons, soccer practices, baseball practices, laundry, budgeting, cooking, gardening, achievement days, room mom, changing diapers, running errands...YOU GET THE POINT! I need a better system to keep it all straight. If you have any miracle ideas that work for you, could you please pass them along, because I think my kids are loosing faith in me as a parent every time I tell them, "I forgot!" Thanks for the help...
8 comments:
I'm no pro but I live out of three basic "calendars."
1- my real planner for personal use. This I put details, lists and what nots.
2- Family calendar--usually a whiteboard and/or calendar on our fridge. This way I walk past it everytime..sometimes it is a weekly to 3 week spread so we know what is coming up. And I like it so Adam has to walk by it as well.
3- I enter things in my cell phone calendar. This way I get a reminder buzz or ring. I like this one especially if I don't want to go write it down or if I know the reminder is needed when I most likely won't have my planner with me.
Like I said nothing huge and amazing but it's worked for me.
OHHH you are soo me!! Seriously know exactly what you are going through! So maybe I'm not the one to give you advice :) but i bought a huge calender thing, like the huge desk ones. i would write things in bright markers really big. hoping it would help catch my attention as i walked by so i would actually look at my calendar.
but the most recent thing that has helped is a good cell phone that i immediatley put my things in the moment i hear about them, then i make it remind me twice.
but i also think its as much slowing things down in your head and being in the present. i get my mind going a million different directions. i have to ground myself and make a huge effort to not let my mind get to distracted. i think when i try to do everything too perfect, i end up failing and forgeting stuff. i heard a quote the other day that said, "The best thing you can do for your kids is BE PRESENT." (mentally) It was exactly what i needed to hear. i am constantly telling my kids to hold on, or in a minute! I am too busy trying to be their perfect mom that i don't have time for them.
...sorry, that was a quite a rant!
Geez, I am the same way....no words of wisdom from this mom, but the cell phone thing sounds like a good idea if you are technologically not handicapped like me. I wouldn't know how to put it in my phone....I just figured out how to text for crying out loud!
Wow! I'm amazed at how much you are in involved in. You are one busy woman! I would be losing my mind, too. I write everything on my calendar before I forget what is going on, and then I have a weekly to-do list with all our events for the week as well as all the other things I need to get done. And I write down EVERYTHING, like call so-and-so, or go to the bank, take a shower today (sad, I know), start making dinner at this time, etc. I even write down what time I need to get out the door to get to where I need to go on time. I feel like I am losing my mind all the time, and this is my fourth pregnancy. It is SO true, you loose more brain cells with each one. Good luck :)
A planner would be good for you. Or a big calendar that you can write things on. Write it down as soon as someone tells you something. Then you wont have to remember to write it down. love you gal! Miss you too!
Oh I so know how you feel today I forgot dentist appt. for my kids and I wasnt even doing anything at the time, thats what makes me the most mad! Some times I feel so overwhelmded I could go crazy try throughing work into the mix of all that, I know your pain! Good luck friend!
I don't know what you guys are all complaining about I never forget anything!!!Ha Ha
Hey, they say that losing your brain makes your kids smarter...let's hope so!
Post a Comment